Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Yet more on torture

This time I'm going to talk about the troops and real life examples.
"That's not torture", says the soldier, "I went through that!". Well, you also went into a building pumped with gas and had to take your helmet off. And, of course, people sure love to justify it by mentioning the troops! Hey, who's going to argue against them (except for some libertarians and the ever rare discontent conservative)?
Yet not everyone is a soldier. Even terrorists. A lot of them become angry because the US has to act like the world police. They join a terrorist group to fight the Americans. They get captured and are possibly tortured. Our country does this because they apparently hate our freedom. So, instead of showing them that we aren't the great Satan, we end up acting like it, and it's sickening.
Sleep deprivation, standing up for a long time, et al is always defended by the average talking head saying "Yep, I'm a mother and I can attest that it isn't torture!" A baby won't keep someone standing up for days on end or keep them up for 72+ hours. Why am I using these numbers even if the US government never said how long it happens? Well, a long time for us is 4 or more hours. The KGB made people stand for 72+ hours. You can't get information by making someone stand for a handful of hours, but days? Oh yeah, whether it's true or not.
Let's use a real world example where I'm a soldier and a man is the terrorist. I hold him in his room, I force him to stand up, I blast music for days on end, and/or I don't allow him to sleep for days or weeks.
It's justifiable for a soldier since they're good guys and they're doing it to bad guys.
Let's say I wasn't a soldier. Let's say the man wasn't a terrorist. Let's say the man stole my wife. Or better yet, killed my kids in a car accident. I did this to him and justified that he was an evil man. I could be tried for a load of charges.
All that aside, I don't believe it's possible to be fully moral and support torture. Apply the golden rule to everything. Yes, the terrorists cut our heads off, but only because they hate us for being there and because they think we're an evil country. We were told that China and North Korea are evil because they torture. Yet it's a-okay to torture if you're an American! God bless us all!
A bomb is about to go off, we should torture them...right? Well, morality says that the end doesn't justify the means. Logic says if a bomb is about to go off, torture won't be effective by the time it's supposed to go off. Can't get a person sleep deprived in 5 minutes! Better yet, they probably can't even get the person that knows anything about it in 5 minutes.
Seriously, why would they talk if it's about to go off? If water boarding is simulated drowning, they wouldn't care. Of course, if it's gradual drowning, it's torture.
I think I might have stumbled onto something!

No comments: