Monday, May 26, 2008

Holidays for the Troops

I forgot to mention what I saw on C-Span yesterday. The president met with bikers that drown out the "God hates fags" crowd. Fine and dandy, but he said there had to be more holidays for the troops. Alrighty...
There's memorial day, veterans day (why celebrate armistice day?), and armed services day. There's probably more, but these are just off the top of my head.
Don't forget about statist holidays either: "loyalty day" and "'peace officer' day"
How many about the consitution? One. No one celebrates. Hell, I had to look it up at Wikipedia! And while we're there...
Private businesses often observe only the "big six" holidays (New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas).

Two out of six are dedicated to soldiers, one to the new year, one to work, one to our secession, one to the proto-americans, and one to Christianity.
I do think there needs to be more holidays dedicated to Leif Erikson though.

Edit: National Gold Star Mother's Day, National Korean War Veteran's Armistice Day, Pearl Harbor Rememberance Day (fo Pearl Harbor, but certainly turns into a day to those troops), and quite possibly National Defense Transporation Day (though I guess it could be defensive driving...I don't know)

In terms of weeks, we at least have a Consitution Week, but also a police week.
Months? Well, Steelmark month is so incredibly protectionist that I think my head exploded.

Edit again: I love Hawaii. They have a Fr. DamienDay

No comments: